For many of us, mid-life comes as a huge surprise. We get there and wonder what the heck happened? We re-evaluate or lives and hopefully come to the conclusion that, if we want to stay youthful, healthy and get the most joy out of our remaining years, we need to follow an exercise program. Below, you’ll find several good reasons why you should start exercising now.
1. Contributes to fat loss It is well proven from scientific research all over the world that physical exercise contributes to weight loss. It’s the hallmark of Locomo Living: movement. If you burn more calories than you consume through nutrition, you’ll lose weight. When you “move” through exercise, you give a boost to (or in some cases totally revive) your declining metabolism. It’s really simple – the more you exercise, the more weight or fat you’ll lose.
2. Prevent disease As we age, the chances of developing a serious disease increased. These diseases include heart disease, cancer, diabetes, and the stroke. However, exercise improves our chances of avoiding this scenario and remaining healthy longer.
The majority of deaths caused by heart disease and cancer, are linked to factors that include stress and lack of exercise. Even diabetes can increase the chance for heart attack or stroke. That said, regular exercise, in conjunction with proper nutrition, can work toward preserving your health.
3. Improving disease Sometimes mid-life comes with the rude awakening that you’ve already developed some kind of disease. Don’t lose hope. Many diseases can be improved (even reversed) through the use of regular exercise. By following a regular plan, you can increase HDL cholesterol levels (the good kind), and decrease your blood pressure as well.
Exercising on a regular basis can also reduce the risk of prostate cancer for men, breast and uterine cancer for women, and much more. All of this is scientifically proven, which is why you should start exercising today.
4. Enhance your state of mind Some of us may aspire to become cranky geezers in our old age, but it doesn’t have to be that way. Regular exercise increases the release of endorphins in the body. These “feel good” chemicals will fight depression and improve mood. And it happens fast – usually within 12 minutes into the workout.
Another neuro-chemical known as serotonin is increased during and after a workout. Increased levels of serotonin are associated with feelings of well-being and decreased mental depression. It can also help you sleep better at night.
5. Enhance your wellness When you are in great shape and well fit, you’ll have more energy and you’ll notice that your overall mood is improved. You will have experienced greater confidence in your abilities and may be able to do more than you ever thought possible. Not bad for an old geezer, huh? LOL!
6. Persistence Persistence is key. Regular exercising rewards you with more energy, thereby making you more productive at home and at work. Exercising regularly can sharpen your skills of mental focus, stamina and determination, and help prevent you from going off track while you aim for your goals.
7. Social capabilities Yes, regular exercise can boost your self-esteem. Just because you’re older doesn’t mean you’re any less insecure at parties. Nevertheless, exercise helps you to become more active and meet new people, which will prevent you from feeling isolated and unsupported. Exercise will also increase your interests in sex, and can help you to improve your marriage or your partner relationship.
So, given all of these tips and reasons to exercise, why would you even hesitate to get out there and exercise? Remember, life moves! And if you want to be a part of it, you have to move, too!
You can exercise at home or go out there and join a gym. There are several different ways that you can exercise, all you have to do is select a few that you like. Take a little bit of time out of your day and walk your neighborhood a bit – you’ll feel better than ever before and your body will thank you.
Keep Moving Toward a Better You!